Friday, February 26, 2010

Poetic Form


Poetic Form
Technically, It’s Not My Fault: Concrete Poems
by John Grandits

Bibliography
Grandits. 2004. Technically, It’s Not My Fault: Concrete Poems. New York: Clarion Books.
ISBN: 9780618428335

Book Review
Through a laughable collection of concrete poems, Grandits tackles the usual middle school age issues which are experienced through the eyes of an eleven year old boy named Robert. It is through Robert, that readers are allowed to understand the calamities and frustrations which usually plague a middle schooler on a regular basis. Topics range from dealing with an annoying sister, to poisonous spiders, or to the infamous life cycle of a fart.

Written and illustrated by John Grandits, each poem is an illustration in itself by showing the unique nature and style of concrete poems. Every poem depicts the different elements that make up the art of concrete poems, which shows that anything goes in the production of a concrete poem. Readers will enjoy the comic strip sketches of black and red that contribute to the wild and crazy flow of each poem. The variety in fonts are equally amazing. Large grandiose fonts allow readers to integrate different voices and moods, while the tiny and minute fonts relay yet a softer ebb and flow to these poems. In addition, Grandits offers readers an explanation of how he formed these unique qualities through a special software program at the end of his book, because it is a sure bet readers will want to mock his concrete style and creativity.

Because of Grandits’ presentation of these poems, readers will enjoy an interactive flair while reading these poems. The construction of this book prevents it from being read in an idle position. Readers will be thoroughly engrossed in the interactive mechanics as it is meant to be read upside down, while turning around and around and around. Some poems twist and turn, while others are simply presented on tombstones as in, “Mom Says, ‘No to New Pets!’” Page after page is completely filled in with busy poetry. Each poem introduces a new surprise to the world of concrete poems.

Middle schoolers will definitely appreciate the poem, “The Thank-You Letter with Footnotes.” How many of us had to write a thank you letter for something we received that made entirely no sense at all to our lives? This frustration is outlined perfectly with supplied footnotes to make sure readers fully understand and are aware of young Robert’s sincerest feelings. Plus, it shows a comical approach to the function of footnotes.

The Thank-You Letter1

Dear Aunt Hildegard,

Thank you2 for the amazing gifts.3 It was terrific4 getting your package!5 I grabbed it immediately6. But when my parents saw it,7 they said8 I shouldn’t open it until my birthday. You can imagine how I felt when I found two gifts!9 The sweater was totally awesome.10 It’s amazing how well you know me.11

Then there was the poster you got for my room.12 You’re in luck; I don’t already have a Polka Hall of Fame poster.13 I’m putting it right under my World Wrestling Federation poster.14

Thanks,15 thanks,16 and thanks again.17 I’m already planning when to wear my new sweater.18

Your 11-year-old19 nephew,

Robert

  1. with footnotes
  2. for nothing
  3. Do you have the slightest clue what an 11-year-old boy likes?
  4. I almost croaked when I saw the package. I still remember last year’s gift. “Oh no! Not again!” I screamed.
  5. I was in luck. Mom didn’t see the mailman.
  6. I hid the package in the garage under the hose.
  7. What were the chances that Dad would decide to wash the car that day?
  8. What’s this? they said. “When did this come?”
  9. You monster.
  10. In the history of sweaters, there has never been an uglier waste of yarn.
  11. Where did you ever find a sweater that not only has Barney on it but also is two sizes too big for me?
  12. I’m old enough to decorate my own room.
  13. Just what I need -- a picture of an old guy with an accordion.
  14. And I do mean UNDER.
  15. For trying to embarrass me in front of my friends.
  16. For the lectures from my parents.
  17. For making me waste an hour of my life writing this stupid thank-you letter.
  18. I know they’ll make me wear it the next time you come to visit. I just hope nobody sees me.
  19. I’m 11!!! Get it?!?

Extensions
Middle schoolers will look forward to imitating the unique variety of Grandits’ concrete poems. Children can pull apart these poems and simply list them to fully understand the process of creating a concrete poem. Adding footnotes to poems like the “The Thank-you Letter” will be a favorite addition to poems children write.

Enjoy other books of concrete poetry:
Blue Lipstick: Concrete Poems by John Grandits - ISBN 9780618851324
Doodle Dandies: Poems That Take Shape by J. Patrick Lewis - ISBN 9780689848896
A Kick in the Head: An Everyday Guide to Poetic Forms by Chris Raschka -
ISBN 9780763606626
A Poke in the I by Chris Raschka - ISBN 9780763606619

Image Source: Barnes & Noble